I logged into my 401k account to check and see how things are doing. In the first few months of the year, my average return was about 2-3 % year to date. I went in and rebalanced my account about 2 months ago to make sure I had my funds distributed among multiple asset classes. For about 3 years, the majority of my account (approximately 60%) of my account was invested in my company stock. I read several reviews where this was a bad idea for a number of reasons so I decided to do a little switcheroo. My account is currently divided as follows:

  • Domestic Equities - 36.42%
  • Foreign Equities - 52.99%
  • Bonds - 4.58%
  • Short Term - 4.86%
  • Other - 1.15%

I have not checked the return on my account since I redistributed my account among multiple asset classes. When I logged on today my return YTD is 12.2%. I know alot of this is due to the recent surge in the market but if I can continue to get at least a 9-10% return, I will be very happy.

BTW: Right now, I am only contributing 6% to my 401k in order to get the full company match. I don't want to leave any money on the table. Once I get my debt out of the way, I plan to up my contribution to at least 10%.

3 comments

  1. Dimples // July 17, 2007 at 8:59 AM  

    My employer does 3% from the top. No matching needed. They do an additional 4% if I match it. I only do the 4% to match at this moment. Once I have all my debt taken care of and I buy my home I will increase it.
    I am also 100% vested.

    Last year I had a 8.72% return and this year I am currently at 9.75%.

  2. SingleGuyMoney // July 17, 2007 at 8:13 PM  

    Dimples - For some reason I didn't think to go back and look at last year until you mentioned it. I checked and I could not believe that my return for 2006 was only 3.6% I guess I won't brag anymore...LOL

  3. Nick D. // April 14, 2009 at 4:11 PM  

    www.ibcforme.wordpress.com